THE BEST TIME TO TRAVEL VIETNAM
The best time to travel Vietnam is from the end of Winter to Spring (February to March) and Autumn (September to November).
Many travelers plan to travel across the country, making the best time to visit more complex than first assumed. You can expect several different climate regions across more than 1,000km length of Vietnam, and if you travel to Vietnam the first time. Looking for things to do in Vietnam for 2 weeks? Check our guide
Visiting by time of year
During the end of winter through to spring, the weather is pleasant and reasonably dry. In a year, March and April have lowest rainfall. It is also off-peak season so you can expect cheaper transports , accommodation rates and services
In general, the North of Vietnam is more cooler, with the average temperature at 25 Celsius degree; while the South of Vietnam has higher average temperature and contributes 80% to total rainfall amount of the whole country. The South has a wet season from May to October, and a dry season from November to April. The North Viet Nam has 4 season such as : Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring respectively fall in June – August, September – November, December – February, March – May
A note about visiting during Tet
Tet is the Vietnamese name for the Lunar New Year, a celebration observed through most of the region, including Korea, Japan, China and parts of Malaysia and Singapore. In the traditional holiday, the Vietnamese leave noisy cities, comeback to their hometown to reunite with their families. They cook traditional food together, visit their friends and relatives as well as to hold numerous festivals so Tet is a great chance to discover Vietnamese culture.
Based on the lunar calendar, the dates for Tet change every year. As the biggest public holiday in Vietnam, most business and sights shut down for the period. A visit to Vietnam during these periods would be best approached with caution.
- Tet Holiday calendar
- 2017: 26th January – 1st February
- 2018: 15th Feb – 21st February
- 2019: 2nd Feb – 10th February
Visit any time of year
Hanoi,Ha Giang, Sapa, Ha Long and Cat Ba Island are consistently good to visit all year round, especially as Hanoi are the one of the largest cities with infrastructure built to accommodate tourists, no matter the weather. Cat Ba and Ha Long are blessed with reasonably cool temperatures all year round, with the average temperatures being about 17-25 Celsius degrees. Keep in mind that the best time to travel to Cat Ba Island and Ha Long is from October to December as a low local tourist season so everything will be cheaper and services will be better by the time. If you want to go hiking, the time is extremely suitable for you to enjoy the view and avoid of sweeting so much.
If you’re travel Viet Nam in January-March
Hoi An, Hue and Nha Trang are at their very best. Halong Bay, Cat Ba Island and Sapa are beautiful from March onwards. Temperatures will range from the low to mid-twenties in Hoi An and Halong Bay, Cat Ba Island, while Hue and Nha Trang range between the mid to high twenties Celsius degrees as they are closer to the equator.
Sapa is always cool and ranges between 10-15 degrees around this time of year. If you’re visiting Sapa in this time, trying Red Dao herbal bath is interesting experience. This famous treatment is the best in cold weather.
Pack: A light jacket if you feel the cold. You will still require sunscreen.
What to Expect: It’s the dry season, and about as close from winter as it’ll get in most parts of Vietnam.
If you’re Viet Nam in April-June
Hoi An, Ha Long and Cat Ba island have temperatures ranging in from 25 to 30 Cesius degrees . Nha Trang, with its stunning white sand beach views, is also nice to visit, with temperatures in the higher 20C to lower 30C
From Hue down to Ho Chi Minh City, the temperatures reach their peak in the low to around 30C. It can feel hotter than it is due to the high humid enviroment. Hanoi is extremely hot and steamy around this period, with its combined rainy season and hot temperatures, reaching up to 37 degrees and more in June.
Pack: Lots of sunscreens and be sure to carry water with you
What to Expect: It’s the peak of summer around this period, so expect the South of Vietnam to be warm. Due to Vietnam’s 3,444 km long coastline, this is one of the best time in Viet Nam to visit its beaches and islands.
If you’re going to travel to Viet Nam in July-September
July to September is not probably good for those who have limited travel budget to visit to the South and the North due to local tourist season in Viet Nam. This time falls in Summer in Viet Nam also known as Vietnamese traveling season. During this time, everything is way too expensive as Vietnamese people flocking to tourist destinations and spending much money on their holiday which makes prices in this season gradually increased . But, if you travel in Viet Nam for short amount of time, traveling in Viet Nam this time is exhilarating as you will be able to enjoy many outdoor activities in Ha Long, Cat Ba, Ha Giang but beware that the temperature of Summer in Viet Nam is extremely hot ( around 35 – 40 Celsius Degrees) , so you might want to bring sun-cream, long sleeved clothes and water when traveling in Viet Nam this time
Sapa also is appropriate place to visit this time due to the average temperature is around 25 – 28 Celsius degrees in Summer. But sometimes, you might experience heavy rain in the place so check weather before your trip necessary.
Nha Trang and Hue commence their rainy seasons in September. Hue in its rain season is very wet; it has small rain all day long during this season.
Pack: a raincoat and sunscreen. A pair of flip flops is probably a good idea too.
What to Expect: Hot, and lots of it in the North. Bear in mind that you will get burnt really quickly if you forget to protect your skin from the sun. Also, this time is ideal environment for mosquitos and many type of insects to grow, so preventing insect bites is important to avoid of diseases
If you’re traveling to Viet Nam in October-December
This is a great time to visit the North of Vietnam.
Ha Noi, Halong, Cat Ba island and Sapa are stunning around October, although Sapa does drop to lower temperatures between Christmas and February.
Hoi An may still be experiencing some rain but will be navigable.
Ho Chi Minh City may experience its worst flooding during October, and Nha Trang is best avoided as it is their wettest month too – not what you want for a beach town.
Pack: a light jacket, a poncho or a raincoat, and sunscreen.
What to Expect: Pleasant weather up North, and wet weather during October down South. This is fine up to around November to December.
If you’re traveling to Vietnam during Christmas:
It’s a great time of year to visit as the weather is uniformly pleasant throughout the country. Bear in mind that due to the holidays, prices may be steeper than usual. However, you should be able to experience everything Vietnam has to offer during this time.
Pack: a jumper or a jacket for the North. If you’re heading to Sapa, something warmer might be required.
If you’re travelling Vietnam during Easter:
April is the beginning of the hot season, but it is otherwise lovely to visit. Take note that there are odd storms on Ha Long Bay, but nothing that should stop you to make your trip.
Time to travel in Viet Nam following locations
Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and South Vietnam in general
- 2 Seasons: Dry and Raining. The average temperature is around 27 Celsius degree all year round.
- Avoid May to November: Heavy rain in the afternoon. Rains last for a few hours. It can cause a flood on some main streets.
- Ideal time to go: December to April. Sunny in the morning and pleasantly cool at night.
- Busy all year as it is the biggest city. No such thing as the high or low season. All prices are consistent the whole year.
Phu Quoc Island
- Avoid June to October. Heavy rain and strong winds. There might be flood at some streets
- April and May can be hot and tourist dense.
- Best time to go is between November and March. Low humid, clear sky, smooth sea and tickets tend to be cheaper. The natural scenes of Phu Quoc Island are beautiful in this time. Although it can be noisy as all the projects start construction around this time.
- Pleasant, windy all year round. Go anytime to experience its long white sand dunes, beaches, rows of tall coconut trees and delicious seafood.
- OK: May to October. It is in raining season and there are short rains. The ocean water is not clear at this time.
- Best time to travel in Viet Nam: November to April. Easy and pleasant winds. Big waves on November and December.
- Avoid April to October. This is raining season and the rains are heaviest in June and July. It usually rains from 2 pm to 6 pm every day in raining season.
- Best time to travel in Viet Nam: November – March. The sky is clear, warm in the morning and not humid like other time. The best month to go this “city of thousand flowers” is December where annual flowers festival is held. This is also the time of various fresh and cheap fruits such as strawberry, mulberry, avocado, etc.
- 4 Seasons in a day: Spring in the morning, Summer in the Afternoon, Autumn in late Afternoon, Winter at night.
- Avoid Sep – Dec. 90% of the rain happens at this time.
- OK: Jan to August when the weather is pleasant 25 Celsius degree on average and less rain.
- Best time to travel in Viet Nam : March – May. Pleasant sunshine. Low season. Prices are cheaper.
- Avoid August to December. Heavy rains occur every single month within the period.
- OK: Jan to July when it rains less and the temperature is around 24*C.
- Best time to travel in Viet Nam : February to April. Little or less rain. This is off peak season and prices are more affordable.Try to go on full moon time of the month where traditional activities are held.
Ha Long and Cat Ba Island
- Avoid June – August. It is local summer holiday, it’s crowded and prices are marked up. Shortage of accommodation can happen. Heavy rain and possible potential storms from the sea
- Best: October to March. 18*C on average with little rain and falls on off peak season. Besides, Prices during the time is cheaper, less crowded. You are guaranteed to have such a good time.
- Avoid May – Sep. Heavy rain, storms and hot. Temperature can be up to 39*.
- Best: October – April. No or little rain. The temperature is cool. The best time is early Spring, around October and November.
- Avoid May – August: heavy Rain
- OK: September, the terraced fields step into their harvest season so they are covered in yellow.
- Best time to travel in Viet Nam: October – March. Little rain. It can be cold in January and February. Best month to go is October. If you’re lucky, you may experience icing Sapa in this time, this is the only place in Vietnam can have minus temperature
I AM HERE TO HELP YOU OUT!
Don’t worry if you struggle to find a course of action- contact me. I will help you as best as I can. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am available all of the time to help you out.
I am here to listen to you
Good luck with your amazing journey in Viet Nam!
Wait, you would love these tours so much!